There are many ways to increase your home’s value, from simple weekend DIY projects to massive renovations. Here are 8 of the most affordable – and effective.
- Have a real estate professional or interior designer look over your home and take their suggestions to heart.
- Hire an inspector to check the things you can’t normally see, such as your roof, electrical system and other hidden issues that could become big problems in the future.
- Find inspiration on decorating and design on websites and in magazines, books and TV shows.
- Cut energy costs and then use the money you save to further update your home.
- Plant a tree, which is good for the environment and for increasing your home’s value.
- Improve the air quality in your home by replacing old carpets and washing or replacing items that could be holding dust and allergens – such as curtains, rugs and fabric furniture.
- Ditch the popcorn ceilings, which date a home and often turn buyers away. Take a weekend to scrape the texture off, then give your ceiling a fresh coat of paint.
- Hire a cleaning service to do a top to bottom scrub of your home. Even if you clean regularly, there are nooks and crannies that likely haven’t been touched in years.