Everyone enjoys getting away and taking a break, looking froward to new sights, great sunny weather, quality time with your family and friends. Vacation is a great way to take a needed break, relax, charge up your batteries and have fun. But an enjoyable getaway can quickly turn to a nightmare if you’re interrupted with bad news of a problem at home. Before you go on your trip consider these simple precautions to keep your home safe lower your utility bills while you are away.
Give it that lived in look.
Vacant homes are especially attractive to thieves. Some of these recommendations will make your home look like someone is always there.
- Keep one car in the driveway, or ask your neighbor to park their car on the driveway.
- Keep your drapes and curtains slightly open, and put on lights on timers, especially in bedrooms.
- Install motion lights outside.
- Ask someone to collect all your mail including flyers, or have your mail collected at the post office.
- Make sure someone takes care of your landscaping, shovel the driveway or cut the grass.
- Do not brag about going on vacation on Social Media, post the pictures once you are back.
- Check in on your phone, Monitored home security systems now allow you to view your home on smart phones and other devices. Some features allow you to turn on lights, lock doors and provide live camera feed.
Follow us on:Google+ Facebook Twitter YouTube Email